So we DID actually go camping this weekend, despite a rough start. I should probably start out by giving a shout out to the Robinsons (Ryan, Jessica, and baby Morgan), the Orgills (James and Joanna), and the Lucherinis (Kyle and Kayla) for coming out and having a great time in the great outdoors with us. So...back to our hint of hope from a depressing start...so Halie and Jessica set out in the morning to secure a spot up American Fork Canyon. Somehow, unknown to us all, the whole world decided to go camping memorial day weekend, and of course some how broke the rules by reserving a spot, when the lady ranger herself specifically told me there were no reservations but it was merely first-come-first-serve. So, after checking various locations up american fork, we were already a little discouraged. Then, with determination, I again set out to waste even more time driving down Springville canyon to try and find a spot there. Two sites--NO SUCCESS. And by this time we were all depressed.
But, as you can see, we DID go camping. We just stuck it to the man, or at least all those rangers and their regulated, outdoor motel style, pay a $16 dollar fee plus $6 every extra car, not-even-the-real-free outdoors camping. Yes, thats right, we drove far away (thanks to Ryan and his divine inspiration) to a location that will not be publicly disclaimed, so as not to crowd our newly found favorite camping area. But it wasn't regulated camping, it was pure boy-scout-style, totally fee-less, far from other people's sites, stuck-out-in-the-great-outdoors camping. IT WAS GREAT. As was the food that I so wonderfully prepared (thanks to uncle Steve for letting me borrow the dutch oven, hotpocket makers, and his dead bonsai cherry branches we used for wood).
So the first night was wonderful. We were all just happy to have actually been out fulfilling the dream that involved many sunny afternoons at Wymount, sitting on a blanket, dreaming and planning of the day we really would go camping. The tin foil dinners were great, and I woke up when it was light outside, happy that we survived the first night.
Saturday morning brought a mountain man breakfast that was astounding. And a nice hike through the national forest, where we came across a beaver's dam. Just for all those who don't believe me, here are some pictures:
It was slightly off the trail, and I thought it was a little lake or pond. When I got closer I saw the nibbled trees and the nicely stacked dam, and I instantly knew it....BEAVER.
And of course I had to go investigate. So our hike was enjoyable--there were lots of little cascade springs and plenty to see (even lots of people on horses, which was cool). But not as cool as the VOLES. Halie and I had seen little rodent-like creatures running around on the bank of the creek where we pitched our tent. I thought nothing of it, but we continued to see them run by, not getting the chance to actually see what they were. James told us they were voles. I thought he was making it up, but since being back I looked it up on wikipedia (check it out) and found out that voles in north america are commonly called FIELD MICE. They are chubbier, smaller, have smaller tails and ears than the common mouse, but either way they are still mice. So, as we played phase ten (which was lame because I never even got passed phase ONE), we kept seeing these things run by the bank of the creek, by our tent. I was kinda grossed out, especially when Halie told we that when we set our tent up she was laying down inside and thought she felt something crawl under one of her arms. BUT, we toughed it out.
THEN CAME THE RAIN. It lasted all night. But we survived. And then it was time to take down the tent and the tarp.
So this was our humble abode while camping. You can't really notice how close it is to the creek, or JUST HOW MANY VOLES THERE ARE UNDERNEATH IT. Yeah, that's right. We took down the tent, and lifted the tarp, only to have like 7 field mice come scattering out from underneath it. Halie just screamed and ran away. I kicked one. And thats how I know they really were field mice, and after checking wikipedia, that they really were VOLES (sorry I ever doubted you James).
But, after it all, we really enjoyed our first camp out. The adventure started out depressing, and faith faltered. We thought we wouldn't make it out this weekend. But, despite it all, there was a hint of hope found in the simple tanglings of a beaver's dam and some nasty rodent like creatures called voles. I think it's safe to say Halie and I both had a good time.

3 comments:
Looks like you enjoyed yourselves! We had the exact same experience!!! It made me laugh reading this post b/c we went through the same stress trying to camp there in Provo and drove to several camping sites and had horrible luck. Ev will have to tell you about it some time. Glad you were able to find a place.
Ha ha ha...this post is hilarious! I'm so glad you stuck it to the man! Ha ha ha. Glad you guys had fun. And I don't think I would like VOLES.
Ha that is funny. That was really fun. Too bad you set your tent in the vole territory. I am glad they didn't gnaw your face off. Thanks for all the food you guys brought and prepared it was awesome!
Post a Comment